Tuesday 10 August 2010

St Lawrence - Food for Thought

St Lawrence was a deacon and a martyr of the church at Rome, who was ordered by the city prefect to hand over the wealth of the Church to the imperial government. Lawrence asked for a time to prepare the inventory. The prefect returned to find an array of widows, orphans, lepers and beggars: Lawrence told him, 'This is the treasure of the Church'.

In his rage, the city prefect ordered that Lawrence should be roasted on irons. In a stunning piece of bravado Lawrence's last words were apparently: 'That side is well done. Turn me over and then you can eat me'.

This great saint gave his life to the poor and downtrodden and suffered martyrdom for their sake and for the sake of Christ. How much do we follow his example?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on an excellent blog initiative, and I look forward to the Twitter feed as well.
    (I gave you a plug over on my blog as well!)

    ReplyDelete